Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Monotheism and Tritheism equal?

I've been mulling this over and over in my mind, and just can't seem to get it. God is beyond my understanding (obviously) and I will never be able to work Him out. But yet I still try.

Anyway, my previous position seems wrong, I wish it wasn't because it kind of makes sense to me; but it just doesn't stand up to Biblical exegesis.

Basically, the Bible proves beyond doubt that Jesus is God. Not just in the New Testament either but in the Old too. You can dodge past most of the verses, saying that it addresses God in Jesus, not God Jesus; but some are unavoidable.

Isaiah 9:6-7
"For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder, and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government and of peace there will be no end, on the throne of David and over his kingdom, to establish it and to uphold it with justice and with righteousness from this time forth and forevermore. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will do this."

Acts 3:14-15
"But you denied the Holy and Righteous One, and asked for a murderer to be granted to you, and you killed the Author of life, whom God raised from the dead. To this we are witnesses."

Besides loads of other references.

So where does this leave me? Lost and confused that's where. Jesus is God. Jesus prays to the Father. The Father is God. The Father sends the Spirit down to Earth. The Spirit is God.

Blatent Tritheism if you ask me, but if that's what the Bible says exists, then to logically be a Christian I'd have to accept this. It's very hard. It sounds too close to Tritheism to seem "right". The Trinity is stupidly easy to prove, once you know where to look. It just seems so opposite to Monotheism to be actually real... A funny thing which comes out of this is that we can address God as Them, since He uses the word "us" to reference Himself numerous times in Genesis if we assume that the us isn't referring to God and His angels.

I've heard the "buzzphrase" about the "One God in Three Persons". I don't have an issue with the existence of God, the existence of Jesus and the presence of God's spirit. It's just how they all fit together that's the puzzle.

No wonder theologians have been battling about this for literally centuries, both sides are equally provable, equally defensible and equally believable. Obviously for various different people. Who am I to step into this and try and set things right? I need to go to Bible college.

I'm sure it'll be all right in the end as long as we have faith in God, His life changing effects and following His and Jesus' will and fully trusting Him for salvation.